IntelliSpineSM Lumbar Laser Procedure
Through one or more tiny, 3 millimeter incisions at the base of the spine, the physician uses a laser and HD camera to visualize and shrink the soft tissue material impinging on spinal nerves.
IntelliSpineSM (Lumbar) Testimonial: “I was blown away by the results. A 180 degree change. Pain was gone and only mild ache on day of surgery. I am thrilled and believe the procedure was 100% successful to accomplish what was expected. ”– Marsha, Actual Patient
Benefits of IntelliSpineSM (Lumbar)
What the IntelliSpineSM (Lumbar) Treats
- Conditions: bulging disc, herniated disc, stenosis, sciatica & more
- Symptoms: pain, numbness, and/or weakness in the back and/or legs
Benefits of IntelliSpineSM (Lumbar)
- Medical Innovators: North American Spine pioneered this exclusive laser procedure
- Treats Multiple Levels: Through direct visualization, doctors are able to see and treat multiple problem areas with more accuracy during one procedure
- Minimally Invasive: Incisions are typically only 3 millimeters
- Relief: By relieving pressure on the nerve, symptoms are significantly relieved after surgery, with continual gradual relief over time
- Outpatient: Performed as an outpatient procedure, allowing for faster recovery and lower costs than traditional surgery
- Lower Infection Rate: North American Spine facilities focus specifically on minimally invasive surgery, not on illness and infection. With an infection rate that is less than 1%, your risk of developing an infection or an illness is far lower than it would be at a large hospital
- Best Outcomes: 95% of our patients would recommend their physician
The goal of the IntelliSpineSM Laser Procedure is to reduce symptoms in the lower back and/or legs by relieving pressure on the nerves in the spinal canal. This minimally invasive procedure may be performed to shrink bulging or herniated disc material or scar tissue using a tiny camera and laser, inserted through a small endoscope. Compared to traditional approaches, the IntelliSpineSM Laser Procedure creates considerably less surgical trauma, less bone and tissue damage, and results in fewer complications and a reduced recovery period. In addition, avoiding overnight hospital stays can also mean a lower out of pocket cost for the patient. Note: we do see patients whose previous spine surgeries are no longer providing them the relief they need.
To determine if you are a candidate for the IntelliSpineSM Laser Procedure, contact one of our Patient Care Managers at 877.474.2225. If you have already seen a physician, send us a copy of your recent MRI or CT for review using the button below.Free MRI/CT Review
Details of the IntelliSpineSM (Lumbar)
The IntelliSpineSM Lumbar Laser Procedure treats soft tissue nerve impingements such as herniated disc or scar tissue, and the innovative approach is exclusive to North American Spine. A unique benefit to this procedure is that the physician is able to actually visualize the lumbar spine in real time through the sacral approach, and is able to treat multiple levels at once.
On the day before your IntelliSpineSM Procedure, you will arrive at the treatment facility, accompanied by a friend or family member. You will meet with your physician and undergo a pain mapping procedure, to help the physician locate the precise source of your pain. The following day, you will undergo the IntelliSpineSM Procedure.
The IntelliSpineSM Procedure is typically completed in less than an hour. One or a combination of the following approaches may be performed:
- Sacral. In this approach, the physician will insert an endoscopic fiber optic scope through a tiny 3 millimeter incision in the sacrum, the natural opening at the base of the spine. Through direct visualization, the physician is able to examine the inside of the spinal canal, injecting dye into the epidural space. The dye makes a path around abnormalities such as disc tears, ruptures, herniations and scar tissue, allowing the physician to accurately and precisely visualize the problem area(s). A special surgical laser is then fired to shrink the damaged disc material and relieve pressure on the spinal nerves. This approach is so minimally invasive that only one suture is requires to close the entry point on the lower back.
- Posterolateral. In this approach, the physician will insert a small, hollow needle through the posterior (back) side of the lateral (side) spine directly into the damaged disc tissue. A laser is then passed through the needle into the disc where it is fired intermittently to shrink bulging/herniated disc tissue, decompress the affected nerve, and seal the tear. Fluoroscopy is used to watch and guide the progress of the procedure. The entry sites from the posterolateral approach don’t require sutures—just a small bandage.
While every surgery carries some risk, adverse complications are rare and most patients are not required to stay overnight at the surgical facility. Your physician will counsel you on these risks prior to the procedure. The day after your procedure, you will have a post-op appointment with your physician.
Preparing for the IntelliSpineSM (Lumbar)
Before pursuing the IntelliSpineSM Procedure, prospective patients should have tried conservative methods, such as physical therapy, anti-inflammatory medication, and spinal injections. If those methods have not produced meaningful relief, you may be a candidate for a North American Spine procedure.Explore Our Facilities
IntelliSpineSM (Lumbar) Recovery
This procedure is usually performed on an outpatient basis, and the recovery period is typically much shorter than open spine surgery. While any surgery requires time to heal, many patients report relief within the first few days and are able to return to light activities as well. More in-depth, customized recovery guidelines will be provided by your North American Spine physician.
Request a Free Info Kit
IntelliSpineSM (Lumbar) Testimonial
“I think vacations will be fun again!”
“I had two lumbar, two thoracic and one IntelliSpine℠ Cervical Laser Procedure. From the very first surgery I could sleep all night!”
“I spent many years trying everything from chiropractic and massage (alternating each every other week for at least 15+ years) and several rounds of physical therapy; to multiple level spinal injections (only lasting about 2 ½ weeks) and had three rhizotomys (that had stopped helping). I couldn’t walk much more than 2 blocks before having back, hip, and leg pain lasting for hours… I was on a mission to find other possible answers and/or options… I finally found North American Spine…I was on top of the world again. I had my life back!!!”
Connect With A Patient
Some of our former patients have been kind enough to offer to speak with back and neck pain sufferers who are looking into treatment options. We encourage you to take them up on it! After we determine a treatment plan, we’ll connect you with a past patient who had a similar condition and procedure.Connect with a Patient